Sarah K's Collection Thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have 2 more male ghosts (1 adult, 1 sub-adult), and 1 Carolina male left, but after this experience, I am wondering how necessary it is to remate them at all, I mean especially if the girls are gonna be so difficult about it? :angry:   I really don't want to sentence my remaining males to certain death! LOL. Plus, I did witness the male Carolina make a connection before Gypsy decided to eat his head off!

9/17/16 Update: As far as the ghosts are concerned, I had good news come on Sunday morning and this morning, and 2 of my ghosts ooths hatched! :D  Each ooth was laid by a different female, so at least two of my girls are fertile. Interestingly, both ooths hatched in exactly 37 days, and were incubated between 75 and 77 degrees F. 

There is still one other ghost girl I have that has laid 4 or 5 ooths already,  and my last and youngest ghost girl finally laid her first ooth yesterday (it was a pretty big one too!) I was so happy to see her finally laying, as I was starting to worry that she was egg bound. But now that she has started laying, it means I potentially have 4 mated ghost girls laying!

geez......looks like I have a lot of ghost nymphs in my future!

Thanks Ashlee! Like I said above, maybe remating is not necessary after all, with all the potentially fertile ooths I already have!
Re-mating isn't strictly necessary, most keepers do it as it provides larger ooths (more eggs per ooth) in the latter ooths; however, once a female has been successfully mated once, her ooths should be fertile even later on. If the male did connect with Gypsy he most likely bred even without his head.

Nice to hear your Ghosts ooths are hatching, enjoy the little ones. :D

Probably around 30 or 40. The L1s are so tiny and cute! They look like little black ants. LOL
They sound so adorable!  :wub:  I'm living vicariously through other breeders right now, I bet it's an amazing experience to watch these little guys hatch and grow! 

They sound so adorable!  :wub:  I'm living vicariously through other breeders right now, I bet it's an amazing experience to watch these little guys hatch and grow! 
They are definitely pretty cute!....I have them in an enclosure with fake fall leaves too, they match their cage and the fall season so well! (I will see if I can upload a picture of them sitting on their leaves soon ;P). Maybe if you are living vicariously through other breeders though, it is time for you to get a new baby mantis of your own. ;)  

They are definitely pretty cute!....I have them in an enclosure with fake fall leaves too, they match their cage and the fall season so well! (I will see if I can upload a picture of them sitting on their leaves soon ;P). Maybe if you are living vicariously through other breeders though, it is time for you to get a new baby mantis of your own. ;)  
It's probably about time, all my girls are adults and I'm itching for a baby mantis again.  :lol:

I do have 2 more male ghosts (1 adult, 1 sub-adult), and 1 Carolina male left, but after this experience, I am wondering how necessary it is to remate them at all, I mean especially if the girls are gonna be so difficult about it? :angry:   I really don't want to sentence my remaining males to certain death! LOL. Plus, I did witness the male Carolina make a connection before Gypsy decided to eat his head off!
Sorry to hear you lost several of your boys recently. I don't normally do rebreedings because I rather not risk my boys, but I went ahead and rebred my Carolina recently because she was so chill the first time that I figured it was low risk. Somehow during the initial breeding my boy managed to get his claw around one of her legs when mounting. She could only use 3 of her back legs while her fourth was awkwardly held against her body by his claws. I thought for sure she was going to turn on him for being pinned like that but she never even glanced back, much less reacted. The 2nd time I bred I thought I finally ended up with a casualty because when I woke up and went to check on them all I could see was wing sticking out and my girl with something in her claws. It took me a solid minute of staring at her with my tired bleary eyes before I realized she wasn't eating him but cleaning up her lady bits. I've never had a girl as fastidious as her about cleaning up afterword. She spends a good half hour nomming on her posterior after connections. I can only hope she brushes her mandibles when she is done. :tooth:

I've always had the attitude that even if the boys perish at least they are doing something they love, so I wouldn't look at it as sentencing them to death. Do you feed your girls while letting the male mount? I've always found a nice big meal in their claws during the initial connection helps avoid the face eating.

Sorry to hear you lost several of your boys recently. I don't normally do rebreedings because I rather not risk my boys, but I went ahead and rebred my Carolina recently because she was so chill the first time that I figured it was low risk. Somehow during the initial breeding my boy managed to get his claw around one of her legs when mounting. She could only use 3 of her back legs while her fourth was awkwardly held against her body by his claws. I thought for sure she was going to turn on him for being pinned like that but she never even glanced back, much less reacted. The 2nd time I bred I thought I finally ended up with a casualty because when I woke up and went to check on them all I could see was wing sticking out and my girl with something in her claws. It took me a solid minute of staring at her with my tired bleary eyes before I realized she wasn't eating him but cleaning up her lady bits. I've never had a girl as fastidious as her about cleaning up afterword. She spends a good half hour nomming on her posterior after connections. I can only hope she brushes her mandibles when she is done. :tooth:

I've always had the attitude that even if the boys perish at least they are doing something they love, so I wouldn't look at it as sentencing them to death. Do you feed your girls while letting the male mount? I've always found a nice big meal in their claws during the initial connection helps avoid the face eating.
It really is an awesome site to behold when your mantis twists all the way around to clean their bottom! It is hard to believe they can bend like that! Both of my girls had an abundance of flies in their cages when the males arrived. And I am glad that my boys were doing something they loved when they died, I guess that is a good way to look at it, so I don't feel so guilty if anyone accidentally perishes in the future!

Nothing to see here, just another stick on a boring green plant. ;)

View attachment 8317

10/4/16 Update: Heterochaeta nymphs are getting big fast! My eldest girl is already sub-adult, and I have 10 other juveniles from several different instars, so should have a nice breeding stock!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a nifty looking species, I had a few but have most away about a year ago... the one I kept ended up dying, but wicked looking nonetheless.

They are a nifty looking species, I had a few but have most away about a year ago... the one I kept ended up dying, but wicked looking nonetheless.
I am sorry you haven't had any in a while, they are one of my favorite species! Mine seem to be doing great in mesh cages that I mist twice a day (room temperature between 70F and 80F). Have not lost anyone to mismolts, or anything else since the L1 to L2 transition! With any luck I will be successful breeding them as well, so let me know if you ever decide you want to give them another try. ;)

Congrats Sarah! Looks like Things are going well LOVE the cats! best wishes on them.. How are your ghosts doing?

Congrats Sarah! Looks like Things are going well LOVE the cats! best wishes on them.. How are your ghosts doing?
Hey Denise! Missed you! Welcome back! :flowers:

Well, I have 2 confirmed mated adult ghost females left from the batch. They have been laying every week or so since the beginning of August. One unconfirmed mated girl who has only laid one ooth on 9/18, so I am waiting to see if it hatches. So far, I 've had 6 ooths hatch, but the amount of babies in each ranged from 7 to 30. Currently most of the babies are L2s and L3s, and eagerly waiting to find new homes!

In addition, I have two adult male ghosts left. :)

Latest posts