Sarah K's Collection Thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2/28/17 Update

Heterochaeta Mated!
He finally did it! Zahra was certainly hard to impress, but this guy's determination finally paid off! This is the 3rd time I've attempted a mate between these two, and both previous attempts failed because Zahra just wasn't having it! But Friday he meant business! ;)  

In addition, 6 out of the 7 remaining heterochaeta that I have have molted to adulthood now, finally! yay!

View attachment 8826

Giant Indian Flower Ooth!
I was starting to think my Makayla was egg bound when she was trying to ooth for days with no success, and was so very big for her little body. :(   But to my surprise, Sunday morning I woke up to this! The ooth is almost twice as long as her, and also twice as big as her sister's first ooth! So excited! 

View attachment 8827

Last edited by a moderator:
3/29/17 Update: 

Hierodula Membrancea mated!

View attachment 8983

My girl She-Ra mated on 3/22, and laid a big ooth 7 hours later! The poor girl spent about 4 hours making it. Needless to say she was very tired and hungry afterwards!  Thanks @Savechanges!

Ghost Double Date!

Today my young ghosts are having a double date! I think it is going well, wouldn't you say?  ;)

View attachment 8984

Thistles Were Born!

Thistles were born on 3/13, thanks to a pairing with @Kermit! Thanks to your male for getting it done! I only wish we got more ooths out of them before mama passed away. We only got 4, but the fist one never hatched! :(

On a positive note, the L2s are so tiny and adorable!

View attachment 8985

That female was feed a varied died of flies,superworms,tomato worms & tomato worm moths... oh and she also ate one of my males in a breeding attempt!!!!!

That female was feed a varied died of flies,superworms,tomato worms & tomato worm moths... oh and she also ate one of my males in a breeding attempt!!!!!
LOL. Somehow my old male survived the breeding attempt, and now she has stopped calling, so I have not tried to introduce any more males to her yet. I have been feeding her mostly flies. She seems a bit testy about eating superworms when I offer them to her, but when one was loose and crawled up the side of the mesh cage, then she ate it!

I cut the heads off and gave her them with tongs and she ate them. If that ooth is fertile and not just foam your going to have one heck of a hatch!!!

4/4/16: Introducing Ms Zena and her First Ooth!

Ms Zahra and Ms Zena are my only two Adult Heterochaeta Females! Ms Zena's wings got a bit messed up during final molt, but she has not let it stop her! She has been mated 3 times, and below she is proudly standing over her First Ooth Ever!

ZenaOoth.jpg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
5/2/16: Schizocephala Bicornis!

Got some breeding stock of the fairly rare species Schizocephala Bicornis (Indian grass mantis) from a great breeder and good friend in the hobby recently. I am so excited! I hope I can breed them successfully, I have never had this species before, so wish me luck! So far I am really enjoying them though! 

Bicornis.png
In other news, should have more P. paradoxa, C. pictipennis, H. membranacea, and Heterochaeta hatching in the next few weeks, I can't wait!

Latest posts