Set-up photos?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
np, thats where i ordered my fruitflies from, and they were great. shipped very fast, and they were great quality. im sure its the same for crickets.

here is my one jus sorted it today :D

newone.jpg

Ive also got this for when she grows a bit (moss will be going down) Might split this into 2 and get another further down the line!

hermansion.jpg

I had this large aquarium split into two sections for two

large Chineese Mantids (Swearinger & Bobbie). It might

seem a bit large, but I kept a close eye on them to make

sure they we feeding regularly.

The jar on the left simply had screen over top with rubber

band around lip. I changed the screen about once a month.

I would get fresh plants for them to climb on about once

a week. (The cat I assure you never got any closer than that).

mantiswww2.jpg

The 2nd picture shows a store bought cage. The mantis on

the lamp was a wild one that was just visting during the mating

season. Since I was nervous about imbreeding, the stranger

spent the night with on of my gals'. I let him go the next day.

Im sure he didnt mind! During that week, at least 5 males

flew onto my porch while I was out there. They must have

been able to smell the females. This is a 2nd floor balcony

by the way.

mantiswww4.jpg

The 3rd picture I included to show how the Males got a

bit anxious close to mating season. Since the cages where so

close, I put some cardboard dividers between cages so they

would relax. This photo shows how Bobbie figured out how to

take a peak over the top at his female neighbor.

mantiswww3.jpg

Last picture shows the view of the back porch. That line

of brush & weeds contains dozens of wild Mantis's from the

oothecas I had. Some days in late July, I could find over

a dozen in 30 minutes of looking. I went out and caught

fresh food for my Mantis's every few days...grasshoppers,

moths, katydids,butterflys etc. Not an exciting back yard

for most, but this is my mantis heaven!) Columbus, Ohio 2006

mantiswww5.jpg

that is cool i am trying to get my neighborhood like that so i can go in my backyard and catch like 5 mantids

wow any u.s. suppliers and will they breed anyway?
Just noticed your post. Here's some old url's I scouted out perhaps a couple of yrs back.

http://www.cricketfactory.com/

http://www.americancricketranch.com/

http://www.bcrcricket.com/

http://www.ghann.com/

http://www.wormman.com/

Prices used to be as low as 1000 for $7.50, I see things have gone up. It's easy to order but if you want a fresh supply of pinheads you're best off rearing them yourself, almost no effort or space is required. Just get the timing right so they'll be ready to eat when the mantids need more than fruit flies. My last batch of PH's hatched out about a month ago and are about 5-6 mm in size now. Some others are smaller, later hatch date. Not sure how small the PH's are from the bulk sellers but I'd assume they are much bigger. Pet shops local to me charge an arm and a leg for PH's so buying from the farms is well worth the dollars spent.

I've been in some of the national name pet stores when they were unpacking their crickets ordered from the farms by the 1000 per case load. Everyone uses them. Just be prepared to toss whole batches if they show signs of being diseased.

Here is my new set up. I just recently go into the hobby so not much stuff yet. I like this hobby since there are so many species and things you can do and see. Also, the cost of the hobby and of having these guys as pets is much cheaper than what I am used to. That is a plus. :D

Look slike a complete start-up kit for raising mantis :D

Unless you have a mesh screen on top of the kritter keeper cage, fruit flies will be able to escape through the lid.

It is cheaper than any keeping reptile or amphibian but they do need more work/attention.

All the best!

392404083_f3bb7b841c.jpg
Only had her a few days.... used twisted beech twigs... looks good I think. Needs some green though. Shes in there eating hehe.
Many mantids like to hang from the lid which may be difficult in that container. Also they need plenty of vertical space to molt so keep that in mind.

its not a good photo to see all the space she has really. Lots of hanging room in the middle from the big twig and she can hang off the lid on both sides with extra room, been doing it most of the day! Keeping it moist though, I dont have a spray, any other methods?

Has plenty of room now but you gotta think ahead too.

Yeah ive been told to get a bigger one from Wilko when the times comes. Ill pop in after work tomorrow and have a nose around. I think shes only an instar 4-5 at the mo... not sure. Is instar the correct term?

Im very new to this :oops:

I used this glossy type of foam board. It is two piece of glossy poster board with styrafoam in-between them. It was sold that way and the water doesn't effect it much at all. Still everything is working great.