Still worried about overfeeding your mantis ? ........

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Byatt

Reaction score
I did an experiment earlier this week. Birdfly sent me a load of flies. Big, fat, well fed flies. I emptied them into a net and fed the mantids that needed them.

So still left with about 100 flies, I thought I'd put a female Cilnia humeralis in whilst I went off to cut some wood.

So many people worry about over feeding mantids, worrying that they'll burst. No doubt this has happened, but it is rare.

This is what I came home to find......

DSC_000710.jpg

DSC_00106.jpg

Stupid thing ate so much that she was vomiting and had brown fluid coming from her anus :!:

My point is, it was not a problem. She is perfectly fine now :wink:

I wouldn't advice doing this though just incase !

Rob.

Wow! I've wondered what would happen if I let my Ch pig out. She seems to have an endless appetite.

So many people worry about over feeding mantids, worrying that they'll burst. No doubt this has happened, but it is rare.
I'm one of those fantastically lucky rare ones who had a mantis that ate until his little butt end ruptured.

Yeah people tend to worry about it way too much. I've fed them alot and never ever had a mantis burst.

was getting a little worried about this yesterday as my orchid mantis has eaten 4 large flies in a short space of time, now its abdomen is about 5 times more swolen up and looks full of flies..

hopefully it will go on a diet for a bit now!

was getting a little worried about this yesterday as my orchid mantis has eaten 4 large flies in a short space of time, now its abdomen is about 5 times more swolen up and looks full of flies..hopefully it will go on a diet for a bit now!
I would do that all the time if I could. I think it helps make the mantis grow/mature faster.

was getting a little worried about this yesterday as my orchid mantis has eaten 4 large flies in a short space of time, now its abdomen is about 5 times more swolen up and looks full of flies..hopefully it will go on a diet for a bit now!
I would do that all the time if I could. I think it helps make the mantis grow/mature faster.
it makes the little bugger look like its going to pop though !

but then again surely they would not take food if they did not have space for it? Or is that like asking an alcoholic to "just hold" that bottle of meths for a minute?

Some of my mantises just never stop eating while others are more shy. I used to have some goldfish and I learned that they don't ever stop eating until they die. I rather have the ones who don't know when to stop because they're more fun to watch and to play with. :lol:

You guys really don't have to worry about killing from overfeeding. I always have some mantids that are very plump. It's not an issue.

God.........? HAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAA!! My God, that's the funniest thing I've seen yet with mantids!!!! Good God!!!! :shock:

Mr. Rob Byatt, for the love of science, why did you stop?! You should have kept going and see what happens! :lol:

lmao that is just wrong! ive had worries about overfeeding my new african nymph i fed like 5 small crickets in 1 day coz the guys at the petshop hadnt fed him since 3 days prior to when i bought him, then he started vomiting but he seems fine now but im still keepin an eye on him lol

Make sure you give your sick mantis plenty of water (via misting) for the next few days. When it comes to feeding the mantis crickets, keep the crickets for approximately 24 hours before feeding. If you have a high mortality rate amongst them, they're probably bad and shouldn't be used for food.

Latest posts