Theopropus elegans

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received some of this cool species recently, still small nymphs, keeping them the same condition as orchid mantis at the moment.

Ld.jpg

Lc.jpg

omg i want one i want one..where can i get an ooth from yen?them things are wicked!

There are some people in Germany who have T. elegans in stock, but shipping would be a problem. :p I think Yen is the only one in the U.S. that we know of that is culturing them, and I'm not sure about the UK. However, they look similar to C. gemmatus and P.O/W's when they get older.

WOOT. :lol: This species rocks. Hope you have great success with them! I'd certainly like to try them out at some point as well.

Wow, these are pretty rare arent they? well those none here in england

This species (which probably is not elegans), is difficult to breed. Most stocks die out after 2-3 generations due to a lack of males. The dimorphism is as severe as in Hymenopus, and if you don't have enough specimens, you lose all males before the females to be receptive. Despite this, the species needs rather elaborate climate requirements. All in all even more difficult than Hymenopus.

However, they look similar to C. gemmatus and P.O/W's when they get older.
Females of this species are large mantids, many times the size of Creobroter. The adults don't remind me of those species.

This species (which probably is not elegans), is difficult to breed.
Are you saying T. elegans is not found in Malaysia?

TelegansMalaysia.jpg

This species (which probably is not elegans), is difficult to breed. Most stocks die out after 2-3 generations due to a lack of males. The dimorphism is as severe as in Hymenopus, and if you don't have enough specimens, you lose all males before the females to be receptive. Despite this, the species needs rather elaborate climate requirements. All in all even more difficult than Hymenopus.
Ditto. I only managed to breed mine for two generations. The first generation ootheca hatched very few nymphs, the second similar numbers and then the 3rd just didn't hatch :angry:

You really need to pick out the males at 3rd instar and cool them to stand a chance with these.

I can't tell it from a photo. There are three species known. Th. elegans has reddish hindwings. The ones with whitish hindwings, which were in stock some months ago, belong to one of the other species.

Regards,

Christian

Oh thanks guys! I don't have many but those that arrived safely been doing great. Some have molted too. I am aware of the sex dimorphism for this species, which means male will mature much sooner. i am having fun with this species :) they are very jumpy and very greedy on food too, they probably look like monster to all those flies :lol:

This one is looking at his old shed :)

Le.jpg

Lf.jpg

Lg.jpg

Lh.jpg

Lc-1.jpg

This species (which probably is not elegans)
Christian, may I know how many and what species of Theopropus genus live in Malaysia, Cameron Highland to be exact. So the species discovery/recorded by Westwood 1832 in Malaysia is not T. elegans? Thanks.

may I know how many and what species of Theopropus genus live in Malaysia, Cameron Highland to be exact. So the species discovery/recorded by Westwood 1832 in Malaysia is not T. elegans?
It's not as simple, as there were a lot of synonyms. Actually, 3 species are recognized, Th. elegans, Th. cattulus and Th. borneensis. Officially, only the first is reported from Malakka, but the traders offer two species, Th. elegans and one of the ones with white hindwings. I did not receive specimens for ID yet.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian. Melaka is not too far from Cameron Highland, Pahang but then different species can cohabitat in the same area at the same time too. I will let you know the hindwing color if by any chance any of my specimen mature into adult. Now that makes me wonder how many species were actually specified (scientific name) correctly in this mantis hobby :unsure: especially those species new in the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Christian. Melaka is not too far from Cameron Highland, Pahang but then different species can cohabitat in the same area at the same time too. I will let you know the hindwing color if by any chance any of my specimen mature into adult. Now that makes me wonder how many species were actually specified (scientific name) correctly in this mantis hobby :unsure: especially those species new in the hobby.
I meant Malakka = Malay Peninsula.

Many species in stock are falsely labelled initially.

Regards,

Christian

Latest posts