Theopropus elegans

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right Nola. For one, the spiny flower has the "9" on the wing while this species has "band" across the wing, thus the name banded flower mantis. One of my female molted into adult recently, guess my power feeding works :) could be lucky here if males live a little longer.
That's great to hear! :D

Yes hopefully the male lives longer. I bet some people here (including me) are itching to see this mantis up close and personal.

we need this species in the uk..dont forget about me buddie if u pull this one off.. ;) which im sure u will..how are yor idlos..any threat poses or new pics?

we need this species in the uk..dont forget about me buddie if u pull this one off.. ;) which im sure u will..how are yor idlos..any threat poses or new pics?
Gez MJ, is early still i am not sure if i could pull this one out, especially when my work load pile up recently in the office and with all the travelling that doesn't help :( but whenever i have the chance to care for them i will, wish me luck!

Yen, This species looks good! It's good to see that they are doing well.
Thanks Mikhails, guess both of us are busy and the only way to communte is via this forum :lol:

I have an adult female about 10 day old now, and another two adult female just molted 3 days ago. If everything goes well i will try to pair them up this weekend. The species get agitated easily, i can only hope the male survive the mate. I think the males are ready now as they are already a full month old as adult.

The "charm" ones :lol: (don't ask me who is Phoebe, Paige or Piper! :p )

af13.jpg

She ate too much i think she had constipation :lol:

af16.jpg

af18.jpg

I will wait till they die before able to check the color, seems to put too much stress to hold them on and stretch the wing right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really no problem. You just have to lift the forewings a bit and look if the hindwings are reddish or white. You don't even have to pick the mantis up. However, do what you think is best. It's not necessary to know the species ID for successful breeding, the 3 species apparently don't differ in their requirements.

The female is sufficient. Males are too mobile for this. I don't need a pic, just the color.

Well even the female is not very coperative, but i did stretch the wing and it appear the hind wing is orange/pink color, is that mean it is T. elegans? Here is a crappy pic with flash light and a female trying to escape, while i tried lifting her forewing. It was like having a 15-round boxing match, what a torture for both of us!!

af19.jpg

Exactly the same colour as the ones I was breeding last year and the year before.

One word of advice Yen, the males are VERY nervous when they see a female, but luckily the females are not that aggressive once the male is on her back (much the same as Hymenopus coronatus). Personally I'd leave it another week, it will do no harm to the males.

Rob.

So this seems to be Theopropus elegans. I don't need the color of the male any more. The other species are not as easy to ID, as both have white hindwings. So good luck with the breeding of these ones. You will really need it.
a070.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The main difference is Pseudocreobotra have pointed eyes, Theopropus do not.
When first hatch, T. elegans eyes are as pointy as orchid or spiny flower mantis. ;)

Exactly the same colour as the ones I was breeding last year and the year before.One word of advice Yen, the males are VERY nervous when they see a female, but luckily the females are not that aggressive once the male is on her back (much the same as Hymenopus coronatus). Personally I'd leave it another week, it will do no harm to the males.

Rob.
Male is always nervous at basically anything larger than itself. I didn't wait for another week but they mated out alright.

mate3.jpg

Took the pic right before they connect..yay!

So this seems to be Theopropus elegans. I don't need the color of the male any more. The other species are not as easy to ID, as both have white hindwings. So good luck with the breeding of these ones. You will really need it.
a070.gif
Guess luckily it has red hindwing or there will be another round of guessing :lol: Glad this time the supplier was right and so Cameron Highland does carry this species.

Latest posts