Theopropus elegans

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah never heard of Malay peninsula as Malakka, and Melaka happened to be one of the state in West Malaysia too. :)

Looking forward for these little creatures to grow up a little sooner. I can see a few females being larger than the rest now.

Hi all ;)

Some photographs of a sub female theopropus elegans

pict0012.jpg

pict0013.jpg

pict0014.jpg

This mantis is very nice :D

thank you ;)

your two pics are nice too ;)

Yes it's the problem of this specie... my male died when the female is adult :(

One of my female banded flower mantis moulted into subadult...yay! with plenty pf luck i might get a healthy breeding pair. My males are getting close to molt into adult soon. boy they are huge eyes!!

subf3.jpg

subf1.jpg

Yen, the adults are simply just AMAZING. The museum I work at has got these in before from Malaysia....the females are just GORGEOUS. The museum actually gets adults for $16 :lol: But it takes about month for the order to arrive....I'll HAVE to get some this year (if the museum will let me). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice AB! Houston museum have them before as well, but the problem is that they usually don't last too long for exhibition.

One of my male moulted into adult this morning, now i can only hope the subadult female can catch up. Time for my "power feeding" again for the females.

am2.jpg

am3.jpg

Yen, the adults are simply just AMAZING. The museum I work at has got these in before from Malaysia....the females are just GORGEOUS. The museum actually gets adults for $16 :lol: But it takes about month for the order to arrive....I'll HAVE to get some this year (if the museum will let me). :)
What museum do you work out? I'm really tempted to go over and visit it. :lol:

Ah, those big eyes on the elegans make them so adorable!

I remember someone was saying these are supposed to be hard to tell apart from P. oceletta, but, they've definitely got a beautiful tannish/yellowish color to them, and they look beautiful.

I remember someone was saying these are supposed to be hard to tell apart from P. oceletta, but, they've definitely got a beautiful tannish/yellowish color to them, and they look beautiful.
I remember me saying that they look similar to P. ocellata a while ago. I guess I was looking at a bad picture of elegans, because they look nothing like ocellata at all with those colors and bulging eyes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember me saying that they look similar to P. ocellata a while ago. I guess I was looking at a bad picture of elegans, because they look nothing like ocellata at all with those colors and bulging eyes!
That's right Nola. For one, the spiny flower has the "9" on the wing while this species has "band" across the wing, thus the name banded flower mantis.

One of my female molted into adult recently, guess my power feeding works :) could be lucky here if males live a little longer.

af1.jpg

af2.jpg

af6.jpg

Looks like the other two subadult female will also molt soon.

af7.jpg

af9.jpg