What about feeding lady bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laemia

Reaction score
I live in Las Vegas, Nevada it's about 110 daily right now and until yesterday I would go outside in the morning or at around 7.30 pm before it gets dark and catch all the flys I could find. I also have two rabbits, two desert tortoises a pot belly pig and an english manstiff and I would put him out at 7.30 for bait. I thought everything would be good for a while and when it gets cooler I could order more fly pupae. I ordered some about a month or so ago and the heat did something to them. Only about ten hatched out of 500 and there was a cool pack with them. I have a few mabtids that need things that fly or at least not crickets and you don't find much other then ants outside. So I was thinking about trying lady bugs I'm pretty sure I can buy them at Home Depot. Thank you whomever helps!

You mean ten hatched out on the way? If only ten did on the way, then there is still nothing to worry about. They will probably still hatch.

No this was a while ago, over a month. I tried to hatch all but only ten did. So they were put in the garbage. None hatch on the way they just wouldn't hatch and I tried for weeks. After I knew I had them for over a month I threw them out but I tried them all.

I guess you could try lady bugs...

A better thing would just be to order again or catch moths.

you can get them here at www.mantisplace.com

Another question: just thought I'd ask here rather starting another topic...What about feeding the beetles that mealworms turn into? I have no idea what they are called. I know mantids shouldn't eat beetles too often due to much chitin, I think that's what it's called, but what about once in a while for something different? I'm always looking for different food for them because I can only buy fruit flys and crickets at stores around here.

Ladybugs are beneficial insects and it's such a shame to kill them off like that.

I fed a mantis a ladybug once when I was desperate, and it wasn't eaten for several days. One special defense ladybugs have is that they play dead when threatened, which is exactly the defense that will stop a mantis from eating it. I think a ladybug's round shape also makes it particularly difficult for the mantis to get a grip on. There might be some easier ways to raise and collect feeder insects.

I don't know if you see many earwigs in Las Vegas, but they are common here, and you might try catching some of them. They're about the same size as ladybugs; in case you are most interested in feeders of that size. Earwigs live inside unopened flowers, crevasses in trees, and places like that, so you may try looking there. I also know they're attracted to vegetable oil so you may want to try leaving a newspaper soaked in some oil and water in the garden overnight and see if it collects earwigs; they'd be hiding inside.

You can also catch a few houseflies and throw them into a jar with old fruit or meat, and in a few weeks you'll have dozens of houseflies. If you don't want to wait for the new flies to mature, you could probably just feed them the maggots.

Whenever I have tried my mantids won't eat them.

I heard that lady bugs have some kind of toxin to keep things from eating them. Maybe the mantis can sense the toxin and therefore won't attack.

By the way, be very careful if you're going to use meat to attract flies. You can introduce a lot of bacteria to your mantis.

ladybugs are naturally made for things NOT to catch them..

Locusts and grashoppers are the same thing. Grashoppers are the solitary form. When some species of grashoppers become overpopulated, they go through a metamorphosis and become "gregarious," meaning they start to swarm and will migrate together, probably so that they don't starve to death when they defoliate every plant or tree around them. The gregarious phase is what is called a swarm of "locusts." When a grashopper becomes gregarious, it changes color and has a higher metabolic rate, so it looks like a different species, but it is actually the same species. When locusts eventually disperse themselves or die off in significant numbers, they return to their solitary form, and will remain latent as ordinary grashoppers for any number of years, decades or even centuries, until conditions allow them to become overpopulated again. All the biblical swarms of locusts are just the gregarious form of grashopers, which have flown into a community and eaten everything.

Locust swarms are rarer now because human agriculture has taken over the praries grashoppers live on so they can't reach the critical mass that causes them to change. Because locust swarms are so uncommon, the words have lost their meaning, and people use "grashopper" and "locust" interchangeably or think they are two different species.

But that has nothing to do with ladybugs.

Many insects defecate when they are threatened, to scare of predators. Grasshopers and locusts will vomit if you catch them.
The roaches I catch for my mantises always get diarrhea right when my mantis grabs a hold of it. It's so annoying and makes a big mess. :x

Ladybugs are not a good food source for two reasons. The ladybugs' structure makes it hard to for the mantid to grab, and they are a member of the stinkbug family, so their defence is releasing pungent odors when threatened. Cute they are, but not as a food source.

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

www.mantisplace.com

erm...ladybugs are beetles....

but they produce a bad tasting liquid from their knees and i would imagine they are hard to hold on to so no, i wouldn't feed them to a mantis...or anything else....

Locusts and grashoppers are the same thing. Grashoppers are the solitary form. When some species of grashoppers become overpopulated, they go through a metamorphosis and become "gregarious," meaning they start to swarm and will migrate together, probably so that they don't starve to death when they defoliate every plant or tree around them. The gregarious phase is what is called a swarm of "locusts." When a grashopper becomes gregarious, it changes color and has a higher metabolic rate, so it looks like a different species, but it is actually the same species. When locusts eventually disperse themselves or die off in significant numbers, they return to their solitary form, and will remain latent as ordinary grashoppers for any number of years, decades or even centuries, until conditions allow them to become overpopulated again. All the biblical swarms of locusts are just the gregarious form of grashopers, which have flown into a community and eaten everything. Locust swarms are rarer now because human agriculture has taken over the praries grashoppers live on so they can't reach the critical mass that causes them to change. Because locust swarms are so uncommon, the words have lost their meaning, and people use "grashopper" and "locust" interchangeably or think they are two different species.

But that has nothing to do with ladybugs.
I know they are the same thing. But I thought only one 'form' did it.

Ladybugs are not a good food source for two reasons. The ladybugs' structure makes it hard to for the mantid to grab, and they are a member of the stinkbug family, so their defence is releasing pungent odors when threatened. Cute they are, but not as a food source.CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta

www.mantisplace.com
ladybugs are not a member of the stinkbug family. they aren't even bugs to begin with.

Latest posts