Anybody else like turtles?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else here keeps turtles? Here are a couple pics of my eastern box turtle.

animals629.jpg

animals630.jpg

Nice box turt. I really like tortoises (I think turtles in america??)

Got 9 Spur thighed, and a hermans. Hatched the spurs from eggs we got given, and they are growing so fast!

tortoises.jpg

Some are hiding in the log hide..

Cheers,

Ian

Great pics Ian. I have always wanted to keep some tortoises. They are also called tortoises here. Usually aquatic turtles are called just turtles.

I had a Common Snapping turtle for about 4 years but had to give it away when we foound out we couldn't build a pond for it. It was a right nasty bugger and her shell was about 12" front- back.

Lovely animal, just a bit dirty when eating.

They make a mess with their food while feeding.

I bought a hatchling RES last friday. This is about the only animal that ive kept that the whole family has taken an interest in, lol. He's got a little soft spot on the bottom of his shell, but I bought some food for him that should fix it up.

I may have to get a tortoise now, lol. :p

Will post some pics later...

Thanks,

Andrew

I bought a hatchling RES last friday. This is about the only animal that ive kept that the whole family has taken an interest in, lol. He's got a little soft spot on the bottom of his shell, but I bought some food for him that should fix it up.I may have to get a tortoise now, lol. :p

Will post some pics later...

Thanks,

Andrew
Their shells are soft for awhile. Make sure you have the proper lighting and habitat setup. Here is a site I like for turtles: www.turtleforum.com

You get tortoises and turltes in both the US and UK, turtles have webbed feet and front legs, tortioses have more stumpy legs because they are generally just land based..the main confusion is between teripins and turtles. :?

I got a Sulcata for Christmas.

Named him Silent Bob, but were not sure if its a boy or girl yet since hes so small.

The picture below is what my Mom did to him for Easter, it was non toxic tape and was only on his shell we made sure no tortoises were harmed during this photo shoot lol.

BunnyBob.jpg

Butterfly, did you research the Sulcatas care before getting one? Do you realize how big they get and should be kept outdoors? Just wondering as I know some people who have them in huge outdoor enclosures.

Rick,

Oh yeah. Ive researched these guys for a couple years. I didnt plan on getting Bob though, he was a gift. Now I guess rather than having a child at 29 I got a Tortoise.

He lives indoors right now but I just started figuring out where his outdoor enclosure will be. Already have a Turtle savings account started too in case something happens to him. It's only 20$ a paycheck but it goes into an account I dont have the card to anymore lol. Gave it to my Mom so Id stop spending out of it.

Im even getting involved with a local Turtle and Tortise group out here. This way if I ever have any issues with him I have a good rescue group to help me find out what to do and where to go.

Bob and his other Sulcata buddies do thank you for your concern tho!

Butterfly, did you research the Sulcatas care before getting one? Do you realize how big they get and should be kept outdoors? Just wondering as I know some people who have them in huge outdoor enclosures.
Yeah, and has anyone seen Galapogos (?) tortoises in the flesh? Now they are big!

I have two yellow-bellied sliders 8)

I have a red-eared-slider and a Mississippi Map. The slider is a nasty little guy (well he isn't little per-say, he's about four inches) and he is a glutton.

My my Mississippi is the cutest thing though. He still pretty young, I got him from a breeder in Ohio. I should get some pictures of him up soon.

I used to have a western painted turtle. I found it on the street in a four way intersection. I kept it in a huge tank for about a month, its chipped shell grew smooth and now its living happily in my cousin's pond.

I just took in a rescue. An adult male box turtle. I came across a for sale ad on craigslist. A girl had him and he was living in a bird cage and she was feeding him cheese, boiled eggs, and corn of all things. Being a box turtle fan I had to get him. When I picked him up she said she got him at a yard sale of all places.

Once I got him home and on the scale I found he only weighed half of what he should weigh. He is doing well and should be packing on the weight. Felt so bad for the poor little guy.

Wow what the heck? A bird cage? What are you feeding it now Rick?