Martial Arts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddhistsoldier88

Reaction score
This includes MMA, pankrachea (spellled right?) the french style that is translated as old shoe (dunno the word...sorry), kung fu, judo, karate, tkd, etc. You're experience, why you chose to study that art how long (rank if there is any), or just your knowlege on the arts themselves!

Doing jiu jitsu, haven't done it long, only about 2 years. Thought it was a good way to learn self defence. I'm a white/yellow :lol:

Doing jiu jitsu, haven't done it long, only about 2 years. Thought it was a good way to learn self defence. I'm a white/yellow :lol:
Sweet! I'm learning judo very similar to jj but no strength involved really. Requeires more science really!! Leverage (Archimedes) and newton's laws believe it or not!

Jigoro Kano was a jj master and derived judo fro jj..but he took out all techniques that required brute strength and strikes though some skools teach the strikes for self-defense purposes only not in the sport

Well, let's hear more about you.
SAdly i dont attend any schools, but i learn from books and websites and tv. use whatever i can. I've practiced judo which works well for me as it doesnt require too much strength but more science. I know some kali and nunchaku (nunchucks) and even judo using nunchaku! :shock: I know the history of many arts and find them all beautiful and deadly. I am very shocked to find out that the FRENCH have a fighting style that is recognized by the world. :shock: :shock: :shock: I am a student of war by study and practice (the martial arts) and am spiritual about it as well. It is, as the saying goes, a way of life.

Bagua Zhang (Chinese), Aikido (Japanese), Hapkido (Korean), Tae Kwon Do (Korean). I did Tae Kwon Do for about 8 years.

The theory of Bagua Zhang is to stay grounded and use excessive force to stop multiple attackers. There are very few kicks because it leaves you vulnerable. Another point is to attack your opponent from different angles (circle behind them for example) so that you get the advantage. Moving your opponent off balance and taking advantage of their weakness is key.

It is a fairly brutal philosophy, but I like the efficency of it.

I started Tae Kwon Do when I was seven years old. I am thrity-seven now.

I have two daughters and I am trying to get them both to learn Aikido.

Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate for about 17 years - I'm second degree black.

Also kickboxing, for about 10 years. Not pro or anything, but LOTS of sparing.

Some grappling, but most of that was learned from experience, not instruction.

So, to the main art, Kenpo - you ask why?

Well, as a kid, I took Tae Kwon Do and Shotokan classes (at separate times), and I'm just one of those people who refuses to accept the answer "because that's the way it's done."

Kenpo was the next art I found, and it provided me with the intelectual, mechanical and bio-physics (withing reason for a MA class) that I needed. It's also a beatuful blend of so many different fighting phillosphies.

I tried the weaponry, but it was all floaty 'swing in the air randomly and person blocks randomly according to official rules (randomly)' so I didn't stick with it.

I tried the weaponry, but it was all floaty 'swing in the air randomly and person blocks randomly according to official rules (randomly)' so I didn't stick with it.
AW! :blink: Weapons training can be very useful for strengthing the limbs, joints, etc. Thats a HUGE reason the Shaolin use live weaponry also so the opponets know that they are in danger and need to use their full skill so it is like an actual fight.

Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. Nearly two years. Bare hand form and sword form. I am about half way through learning the sword form. Also do a lot of Chigung in the class I take.

Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. Nearly two years. Bare hand form and sword form. I am about half way through learning the sword form. Also do a lot of Chigung in the class I take.
As a kung fu practioner and martial artist, you should know that there is no end to any form. You can continue to find more knowledge and expand your power and wisdom.