Parymenopus davisoni

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They need to be separated and in a deli or like container, make no mistake they will eat each other sooner or later, if there's no condensation in your delis It's time to mist again so they can drink and molt properly.

I have had bad luck keeping mantids in deli cups for any length of time what I keep most of mine in are critter keepers with dirt for substrade and keep as close to natural as I can with them. I also have few net cubes I have had alot of success with on most of my mantids as I keep them in the cubes till they get close to sub adult or adult then move them to critter keepers but dont use substrates in my net cubes being I keep them on a wood entertainment center and worry about the wood getting stained by water.I use paper towel in deli cups when hatching ooths of course and mist them daily so guess its no different with this species and of course I got some lids with holes in them already to plug up and use a funnel for fruit flies and stuff!

I always thought raising a mantis in a deli cup is harder then using net cubes or other containers and have use canning jars on occasions!

If I can get my hands on a few of these, I would def keep in deli cups with paper towel for humidity retention. I usually use no substrate, but these may require a little more "care". When do they go on sale for the "general public"?

Paper towel is normaly good, but for these I used pet bedding(paper mulch) to hold the moisture longer, here's some sub-par pics:

Fat fat!

DSCF0815.jpg

Set up with one molting on the far right, temp holds at 81-82.

DSCF0809.jpg

Bad close up of the molter :)

DSCF0810.jpg

DSCF0811.jpg

Does this look ok just making sure and only got a hole for the funnel but may have to make it bigger if I need to for the squirt bottle!

nymphsj.jpg

2-3 can stay in a deli for the first 3 instars, after that seperate them. Cant say enough: HUMIDITY!!!! They need alot of it.

2-3 can stay in a deli for the first 3 instars, after that seperate them. Cant say enough: HUMIDITY!!!! They need alot of it.
After L2 they need to be seperated. I found this out the hard way. I thought i had till L3 before cannibalism would start. I was wrong. :(

Now that i'm looking at your guys deli cups. I realize your sticks are kinda flimsy. Try to use sticks that fork, and are more narley. No low branches.

Now that i'm looking at your guys deli cups. I realize your sticks are kinda flimsy. Try to use sticks that fork, and are more narley. No low branches.
Thank you but??? I'm confident in my sticks, as flimsy as they are, they don't even use them much thanks to them being able to climb the plastic, lol...

I have some sticks that fork though, we'll see if that helps...(it won't since they climb the sides like spiderman) :lol:

Thank you but??? I'm confident in my sticks, as flimsy as they are, they don't even use them much thanks to them being able to climb the plastic, lol...
Sorry! I did not mean to offend! :lol: I have to take a pic of my sticks. I know that sounds stupid, but i regularly go to the park, and pick out prime sticks for my deli cups. People look at me weird, the squirrels think i have a bag full of peanuts. One, or two is cute but when they start following you in mass. It can be some what unnerving! :lol:

I have some sticks that fork though, we'll see if that helps...(it won't since they climb the sides like spiderman) :lol:
I probably should have explained the reasoning for the forked sticks. For now while they are small, they can molt with out a problem on the tops of the deli cups, or even the plastic sides. When you females molt to sub-adult. They will weight a bit more. Molting from the top of the deli cup might be iffy? These mantids are relatively small, but females can get crazy fat! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! I did not mean to offend! :lol: I have to take a pic of my sticks. I know that sounds stupid, but i regularly go to the park, and pick out prime sticks for my deli cups. People look at me weird, the squirrels think i have a bag full of peanuts. One, or two is cute but when they start following you in mass. It can be some what unnerving! :lol:

I probably should have explained the reasoning for the forked sticks. For now while they are small, they can molt with out a problem on the tops of the deli cups, or even the plastic sides. When you females molt to sub-adult. They will weight a bit more. Molting from the top of the deli cup might be iffy? These mantids are relatively small, but females can get crazy fat! :lol:
You didn't offend at all :lol: and you make a good point on the molting surfaces, I'm just doing this way for now so they can find the food easily, in a few weeks I'll change it around, they'll be on flies by then which are easier to find in a deli.

Ha-ha, be careful with the squirrels they're just big rats with fuzzy tails after all. :D . I just hit the backyard and grab branches from my lilac tree, they come in all shapes and configurations so I guess I'm lucky for that.

well seems that since I changed to the deli cups my survivng nymphs are doing much better even though one of them lost a back leg while molting in the deli cup but still is alive and kicking and seems to be one tough little nymphs and they are eating as well which is also a relief

well seems that since I changed to the deli cups my survivng nymphs are doing much better even though one of them lost a back leg while molting in the deli cup but still is alive and kicking and seems to be one tough little nymphs and they are eating as well which is also a relief
Good! It's this simple.

IMAG0269.jpg