Rhombo' and 'Chaeta logs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never really showed how chaeta gather at the lights during feeding

Two spotted me lol

20141129_232736_HDR.jpg

Was going to put up the vid of them eating but i ended up catching a molt to subadult instead. The long birch branches are just too perfect for chaeta:D

Really cool, thanks for sharing...

Last edited by a moderator:
a8595fe0d8462afdbbbc_1.jpg

Can chaeta over eat? I see some others just as fat but they didnt bleed, what do you think couldve caused this injury, do you think the mantis will make a recovery?

I think it would, just hold off with the food! Or maybe another grabbed it? I witnessed a fight! I had given a soldier fly to one.

I have learned my mantids treasure them. Another grabbed the lucky mantis that caught they fly and was tussleing for the fly! I thought the Chaetas did fight eachother?

Mantids cannot overeat. If they are 'feeling full', they will either drop the prey item whilst eating it or just not catch the food in the first place. What can happen from eating a lot though is that the plump abdomen can puncture/bleed easier if s/he were to fall or get attakced by another.

...But I think the benefits of 'feeding them til they pop' (overall adult size increase, faster growth, etc) outweighs this chance of getting injured, especially if you keep them singly and with appropriate netting and sticks.

Good news the injured chaeta is still kicking and actually quite healthy, i cleaned the spot off with a qtip and silver hydrosol so hopefully that will do the trick.

Can chaeta over eat? I see some others just as fat but they didnt bleed, what do you think couldve caused this injury, do you think the mantis will make a recovery?
How old was she? I've had one mantis that had an internal rupture after eating. It wasn't even that big of a meal but she was over a year when it happened. She was a Euchomenella macrops and even though she bled out a ton, her wound stopped on its own and she lived for a couple months after until finally passing from old age. Her species is a long lived one that is also rather twiggy. When the girls got really old you could see the thinning of the skin in between the connections of their abdomen sections. It was eerie how transparent some of them looked there. When my one of my other girl's passed, her body literally fell apart at the seams within a couple hours after she took her last breath.

Happy new years everyone! Its going to be a great year for heterochaeta once more

First adult male

20141231_141337.jpg

Latest posts