Sarah K's Collection Thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL... it is always a bonus when you have males left over...Hope all went well and you are swimming in ghosts...hehe

You Know You Are A Mantis Person When............

You create a mantis perch for your computer desk! My oldest Heterochaeta girl has been hanging out with me all day while I work! She is sub-adult now! :D

Unbelievable how big this species is!

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to spoil as many mantises as I can......;)
I know that you do, and your post just proved it again. :)

Speaking of your pets, how are your Heterochaeta doing? I read back in October they were doing well and you had a nice breeding stock. I am hoping to get a few from you when you get a new generation (as I know you were sold out when I checked early this week). ;)

I know that you do, and your post just proved it again. :)

Speaking of your pets, how are your Heterochaeta doing? I read back in October they were doing well and you had a nice breeding stock. I am hoping to get a few from you when you get a new generation (as I know you were sold out when I checked early this week). ;)
Yeah, everyone is still doing well, just growing slowly! When I posted on October 4th, I thought my eldest girl was sub adult already, because I could see the beginning of her wing buds and she was already so darn big!  But it turns out she must have just been sub-sub adult, because she molted again since October 4th, and still does not have full wings!  I really do think she should be molting to adulthood any day now though, but all the others are still a few molts behind her. One thing that never fails to surprise me about mantids is how different growth speeds can be between individuals that were all born around the same time, and kept in the same conditions!

Anyway, you and Kermit are at the top of my list when I have baby Heterochaetas again, hopefully in a few months! ;)

Yeah, everyone is still doing well, just growing slowly! When I posted on October 4th, I thought my eldest girl was sub adult already, because I could see the beginning of her wing buds and she was already so darn big!  But it turns out she must have just been sub-sub adult, because she molted again since October 4th, and still does not have full wings!  I really do think she should be molting to adulthood any day now though, but all the others are still a few molts behind her. One thing that never fails to surprise me about mantids is how different growth speeds can be between individuals that were all born around the same time, and kept in the same conditions!

Anyway, you and Kermit are at the top of my list when I have baby Heterochaetas again, hopefully in a few months! ;)
Indeed it is amazing the development variation, even from those from the same ooth. She is bound to get her wings sooner or later though. 'Tis the season so should I ring some bells? ;)

Great to hear and I look forward to them. :)

12/13/16 Update: I realize I am actually very behind on updates on many of my mantises.....so I am going to do a species at a time in the next few weeks, (starting with the Carolinas) and maybe I will eventually catch up! 

Carolina Girls: Gypsy, Ginny, and Amora

Ginny: Unfortunately, she passed away after being an adult for only a few months. Since she was very large and never laid any ooths, I thought she was probably egg-bound , and that is what ultimately led to her premature death.

Amora: Amora lasted a month or so longer than Ginny, but eventually passed, having laid only 2 deformed ooths. See this post:

Gypsy: Gypsy has done great! She has been laying regularly since early August, has been mated (possibly twice, before she ate the head off of the second male!), and has laid me a total of 12 ooths so far!

Unfortunately, she is getting to be an old lady now, as she molted to adulthood on 7/13, and lately her ooths have been smaller and she has not been laying as frequently. She is also starting to have trouble getting around and catching her food like she used to, but she is a good girl, and has led a good life.  

Gypsy's Ooths: Gypsy's first two ooths laid in early August did not receive a diapause, and only started hatching a few weeks ago! Only a few babies have come out though....I think I have a total of 5 little Gypsy juniors so far!  Not really sure why the small numbers, but I am happy to have some Carolina babies around again regardless!

Gypsy's first two ooths laid in early August did not receive a diapause, and only started hatching a few weeks ago! Only a few babies have come out though....I think I have a total of 5 little Gypsy juniors so far!  Not really sure why the small numbers, but I am happy to have some Carolina babies around again regardless!

It is amazing how long it takes for the Carolina ooths to hatch without a diapuase - mine take anywhere from 75-110 days, 90 days being the average. Then most do small "scout hatches" of 1 to 3 nymphs several times before the main hatch, but some never do a big hatch only do small ones until empty (usually 3-7 days between scout hatches).

Glad you have some Carolina nymphs, it's always great to start with new little ones from day one. :D

1/4/17 Update: Well, as expected, Gypsy has passed since my last post. She was a good girl though, and I am glad I was able to give her a full life. 

However, on a positive note, my other mantises gave me several awesome surprises over the holiday break!....stay tuned for more news tomorrow, complete with pictures!  ;)

1/4/17 Update: Well, as expected, Gypsy has passed since my last post. She was a good girl though, and I am glad I was able to give her a full life. 

However, on a positive note, my other mantises gave me several awesome surprises over the holiday break!....stay tuned for more news tomorrow, complete with pictures!  ;)
At least Gypsy had the best care she could, and was a spoiled and pampered one. It's great though she had nymphs and is survived by her children. :)

Sounds good, I'll keep a eye out for photos. :D

1/6/17 Update - Christmas presents from my beloved pets!    

1) Zahra my oldest Heterochaeta  got her wings!

View attachment 8616

2) My new Carolina girl Lenora (found her as a nymph in late summer outside, so I took her in and raised her to adulthood the rest of the way), mated with a male thanks to Mantis Monarch, than laid this giant ooth (her first) several hours later. Will it be fertile?

View attachment 8617

3) My Mated orchid female laid me her first ootheca!

View attachment 8618

4) my first pair of 2nd generation Indian Flowers molted to adulthood!

All in all, I would say it was a great Christmas. ;)  Happy New Year everyone!

1/6/17 Update - Christmas presents from my beloved pets!    

1) Zahra my oldest Heterochaeta  got her wings!

View attachment 8616

2) My new Carolina girl Lenora (found her as a nymph in late summer outside, so I took her in and raised her to adulthood the rest of the way), mated with a male thanks to Mantis Monarch, than laid this giant ooth (her first) several hours later. Will it be fertile?

View attachment 8617

3) My Mated orchid female laid me her first ootheca!

View attachment 8618

4) my first pair of 2nd generation Indian Flowers molted to adulthood!

All in all, I would say it was a great Christmas. ;)  Happy New Year everyone!
Awesome and Grats!  Nice way to start the new year.   :clap:

@Sarah K Congrats, on Zahra getting her wings and all the ooths. :) In my experience Lenora's ooth laid only after a few hours after mating will be infertile. For a fertile ooth the closest from mating to laying for me has been about 3 days - of course it doesn't hurt to incubate it just in case. ;)

@Sarah K Congrats, on Zahra getting her wings and all the ooths. :) In my experience Lenora's ooth laid only after a few hours after mating will be infertile. For a fertile ooth the closest from mating to laying for me has been about 3 days - of course it doesn't hurt to incubate it just in case. ;)
Thanks Thomas! Yeah,  I wasn't sure, it was a bit bizarre that it was so close to right after her mating, even though she had refused to lay anything until she actually mated, so I was wondering if the mating inspired her to lay. 

Thanks Thomas! Yeah,  I wasn't sure, it was a bit bizarre that it was so close to right after her mating, even though she had refused to lay anything until she actually mated, so I was wondering if the mating inspired her to lay. 
I've actually read that happening a few times lately. I would assume the mating just puts more pressure/strain on the female causing her to have to release it. A bit of a long shot but it may help females suspected of being egg-bound to be able to lay their ooth too.

1/30/17: Update: RIP Greenie.

My green mama passed away this weekend, as an old lady!  She lasted 7 months into adulthood, and made me so many ooths, I honestly lost count! I will miss her, but it warms my heart to know she made so many babies who are now the beloved  pets of so many other mantis owners! No doubt she will live on through all of them, and I am glad I have kept some of her babies for myself, which will hopefully be passing along her genes to more generations in the future as well. ;)  

@Sarah K Sorry for your loss of Greenie. Indeed she will live on with her babies and theirs as well. :) Great to hear the nymphs found their way to other keepers as well - so you know some will always be out there. :D

Latest posts