Terrarium size

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefyTheNorms

Reaction score
Would a 8x8x12 glass terrarium work for an sub/adult Malaysian shield? Or would I need to go bigger for the giant species? 

Also make sure is "small" enough for the mantis to find food. 
 Definitely :) I'm just planning ahead. They are way too small at the moment. Especially my budwing. He literally looks like a large wingless mosquito with arms lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ripley is in an exo terra 12x12x12 now after her last molt, she's doing just fine. Just make sure the perches are wayyy up so they don't decide to molt on the goddamn floor like she did.

IMG_4513.JPGIMG_4515.JPG

@BathoryThe terrarium looks sweet! Glad to hear she’s doing great. And yeah always make sure the sticks are high up. Mantis don’t seem to be the brightest when it comes to molting.

I just saw exoterra terrarium on amazon. $20 for a 8x8x8

honestly not that bad of a price. 

I’ll provide a link later. For those who might be interested.

I just saw exoterra terrarium on amazon. $20 for a 8x8x8

honestly not that bad of a price. 

I’ll provide a link later. For those who might be interested.
I bought one on Monday from amazon for $23, free shipping. It's an awesome price! I may need to buy another. I believe they are too small for a Shield, Rainforest, or African blue flash tho, correct? I have an 8x8x11 zoo med bugarium in my cart for $29 that I may get.

they are too small for a Shield, Rainforest, or African blue flash tho, correct?
8x8x8 is probably too small for big mantis species (or it would be cramped at least I think). Also depends on how much substrate and "stuff" you put in them. A lightly decorated 8x8x12 with very little substrate would probably be fine. But if you're like me and want to cram plants and wood and nice decoration/ a few inches of substrate in them even the 8x8x12 can end up being too small (for the big ones that is). I have the 8x8x12 and the 12x12x18 both heavily 'scaped.

8x8x8 is probably too small for big mantis species (or it would be cramped at least I think)
I assume 8x8x8 is ok for an adult Budwing? I'm new to mantis keeping so still trying to figurine out what's what lol. I have 2 mantids with 3  more on the way. - 3 of which are giant species. I probably should have thought about the adult enclosure size before I got them lol

I assume 8x8x8 is ok for an adult Budwing?
Those get 2.7~inches long right? 3x would be about 8.1 inches so yeah it will be good (especially for males since they are smaller). Just gotta be careful not to put in too much substrate 

I have this cabniet that has 8 10x10x10 shelf’s. I want to fill the entire wall with eco Terra’s and set up a light fixture for all of them. It should hold large mantises but that’s if it molts from the top mesh. The mesh on exo terrasnis wire mesh, which can damage a mantises feet. My previous exo Terra’s I pry out the metal mesh and hot glue screen mesh on the lid and it’s perfect. 

I honestly think it’ll be fine if you plan it out fine.

Just gotta be careful not to put in too much substrate 
I usually just put a thin layer of eco earth or a few layers of brown paper towel. So I think it would be ok. I also have a jeweled flower mantis on it's way that I believe is on the smaller side too. 

I have this cabniet that has 8 10x10x10 shelf’s. I want to fill the entire wall with eco Terra’s and set up a light fixture for all of them. It should hold large mantises but that’s if it molts from the top mesh. The mesh on exo terrasnis wire mesh, which can damage a mantises feet. My previous exo Terra’s I pry out the metal mesh and hot glue screen mesh on the lid and it’s perfect. 
That sounds awesome! Hope to see pics one day. I'd like to do something like that if I decide to continue keeping mantises. I really should have just went with 1 or 2 my first time around, but like everything else, I go overboard lol. Thanks for the tip on changing out the metal screen.

Latest posts