Blepharopsis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you end up with nymphs that fall too far behind in molts, it's best to separate them. That way they won't get eaten, and you can ensure they are getting enough food. You also may want to consider putting your sub adults in separate enclosures now to use as molting chambers so there is no chance of them getting knocked down during the final molt.

My sub adult female nymph that had turned green molted to an adult this morning! She looks good. She stayed green but her wings are a light green right now. Over the weekend, the first of my males molted to sub adult when I was out of town. I also have a sub adult female. The rest of my older stock are still smaller.

Alex, my nymph that turned green had first turned yellow/green. Perhaps yours is going to change to green.

I'm not exactly "loaded" with b mendica as I have continued to move some surplus stock. (I'm actually "loaded" with p wahlbergii nymphs nowadays.) Most of my surplus b mendica stock are L2 - L4 now. But I should have "fresh" males in the future in case you decide you'd like to re-mate your females down the line.

Cool

I found the little female, she was hiding

I tried putting the females in 32 oz deli cups but I was worried they'd side molt from the paper towel I rested on the side of the cup (in case they fell down they can't climb the plastic) and I thought they'd be too close to the heat lamp

But I'll figure something out (gotta save up for some 80 oz cups)

The 80 ounce containers with aluminum lids work great for them. I have glued some plastic grid to the side so that they can climb back up if they fall.

The 80 ounce containers with aluminum lids work great for them. I have glued some plastic grid to the side so that they can climb back up if they fall.
Hey Tammy can they moult to adult in 80 oz containers. I was thinkin 32 oz would be fine but IDK.

My female just molted in an 80 ounce container this morning. They are about the same height as the 32 ounce. They may do fine in the 32 ounce, but I don't think they'd be happy living in an enclosure that small after they molt.

here r 3 pics of the L7 female:

L7female1.jpg

L7female2.jpg

stalkerbleph.jpg

I had another female molt to an adult today. All went well. I'll see how long it takes her to turn green. The next one to molt will be my sub adult male. After that, it will be a while as the rest of the nymphs I have for breeding stock all have between 2 - 3 molts left.

I kept around 6 - 7 nymphs (two were normal sized and the rest were runts) from the first two ooths. So, the ones that molted to adults are either the same age as yours or five days younger, and the second ooth that hatched (same female), hatched five days after the first.

I'm not 100% certain of the number of molts with the b. mendica. But if she's an L7, then I'd think she would be a sub adult????

I kept around 6 - 7 nymphs (two were normal sized and the rest were runts) from the first two ooths. So, the ones that molted to adults are either the same age as yours or five days younger, and the second ooth that hatched (same female), hatched five days after the first.

I'm not 100% certain of the number of molts with the b. mendica. But if she's an L7, then I'd think she would be a sub adult????
Nope L7 is pre-sub for females sub for males.

It's strange then that your female still has two molts to go. I have been moving mine out of the community net enclosure to their own enclosure once they are pre subs. So, it's easier for me to monitor how much they are eating. Their main diet is bb flies, but I have gotten my females to eat mealworms. I use them for emergency food and as a treat once a week.

Yesterday my first male molted to an adult. The females are in 80 ounce enclosures next to the male, and they were watching him. The interesting thing is that both of my females started to point the tip of their abdomens down and then would raise it up and down. I really don't know if this behavior is calling or something else. I have only seen my p wahlbergii females doing this. The females have been adults for a couple of weeks now.

Wow... I was just feeding a nymph a blue bottle and I put the fly on the lid next to it, it jumped in the air, landed on its side and pretended to be dead until I nudged it and flipped the lid.... I was laughing so hard... Is this normal behavior? It's eating the fly now, but I was surprised to see the acting bit....

finally got an L7 male

not sure if he is subadult

here r a few closeups of him

7022316801_600566d018_n.jpg

wingbuds

and, why does something that comes from a DESERT need soo much hair??

6876214282_318ac107b5_n.jpg

head

7022316911_4493f8b1b8_n.jpg

him next to an unrelated, preserved dead adult male

7022317113_91e2956c71_n.jpg

so do u think he is subadult??

I got an L7 male a couple of days ago. He does not appear to be sub adult yet.

Latest posts