Bugatorium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a shed thats 16m2..soon as it warms up im going to copy your design..one thing i wil be doing different is adding a 6inch rvk fan that will draw fresh air fomr out side which will be linked up to a 6inch rvk filter which filters air born containment's and pests..the room is going to be temperature controlled with humidistat and thermostat linked up to the fan.soon as i got a spare 300£ im going to set it up...your set up is great.have u got any windows in it?how are u getting air in there?>i ned to get all these mantids out my bedroom..lol

:lol: ha ha ha, cause there is no sprinkler system inside the containers yet! :p They get a good drink this way, if you just spray an ooth with a shot of water, it mostly runs off, I like to make mine think they are in the RAIN[SIZE=14pt]! :p Plus [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]I could not take a pic of them inside. ;) [/SIZE]

Flea world here in Florida uses a sort of "outdoor" air conditioning, that pretty much amounts to a mister attached to an oscillating fan... If we could crack that futuristic technology it would work well for keeping a bug room / closet humid!

What should I use to house my giant asian? I was going to get 32oz containers to house them but they are only big enough to hold them until 5th instar. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Like you said the 32 oz are not good for long time keeping. Here's an Idea I occasionaly use. This is useful for when you are overrun with nymphs or for some forum member who live overseas, it is not easy to get a lot of different containers like we can purchase here. What I like about this set up is it is

#1 very inexpensive, # 2 only takes a few minutes to make, #3 can be throw out after taking off the screen so there is no cleaning involved.

#1 First I take a box the size I would like my mantis species to be in, this one happens to be a shipping box, 12" x 12" that somehow got the four sides that close cut off :} , I hot glue the bottom closed and of course the top has its ears cut off, then I make a door in the one side and using the same hole saw seen here:

drill-1.jpg

I drill the hole in the door for adding my feeders, the door is big enough to get my hand in if need be, which also is big enough for the mantis to go into.

100_0321.jpg

#2 Then I go and cut some branches or any outdoor fresh leaves and twigs to glue in place inside, making sure I put one hanging over the door a little so the door will not push inside, ( This makes a door stop) and then I put some fresh spaghnum moss on the floor.

100_0322.jpg

#3 Now I cut my screen, in this one I used fiberglass screen, cutting it 14' x 14". I then hot glue it all around the opening and walaa! Good to go. Add the plug and the mantis and your all set. I have 2 female Arizona and two males in here for breeding. I really like this set up, it is warm, misting does not hurt the cardboard, it smells heavenly and the mantis have a nice clean big place to live.

100_0324.jpg

100_0326.jpg

Thanks, it is really full now, ff cultures seeking places to sit, worms under shelves (contained) and ooths taking over and babies everywhere, is where the Mystery Mantis comes in!

Yea and if I was really smart I would of cut a good size hole in top & make the screen to cover it to, for additional light! Hey but don't stop buying my containers :( , maybe not such a good idea after all. :angry: :lol:

:eek: I sent a package to New Orleans and it sat there for 2 whole weeks. From the 22 of September till I got it back on the 7th of October. Inside was a "Mystery Mantis" I sent to the customer because they ordered by express shipment. When the postmistress gave me back the package, I was so dismayed, because I Just knew the baby would be dead. Well I got it home and look at what was inside

MVC-596F-1.jpg

with no food or water other than what I gave it the day it left. Now, I have named it Magoo! It is now the Bugatorium mascot! I believe it is a Budwing! But time will tell. It had not molted in the cup, so for two weeks it has sat in the dark somewhere, listening to all the sounds around it and being taken out to the persons house three times and returned to the post office three times and then sent back on a plane to Ohio. Poor little Magoo :blink: . He was a little scared when i opened the cup, but I sprayed him with warm water real quick and thru in 4 hydei f f s and he did a summersault trying to catch the flys. He seems a little under the weather tonight, maybe he is going to molt. He ate this morning, but tonight when I gave him a drink he didn't seem to want it and did not want any flies.

This is how he looked tonight when I put him in a new house with some evergreen leaves for him to hang on, it is a Small Round container so he can have plenty of light and can see out.

MVC-597F.jpg

I can't believe my eyes!

I had raise this Religiosa Female, and Male Chinese, I put them out in the yard yesterday....

MVC-551F.jpg

MVC-556F_edited-1.jpg

And today when I went outside,( it of course could be another male)

chireg.jpg

this is them in the Bugatorium.

I found them in the process of mating...

chireg1.jpg

chireg2.jpg

chireg3.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this behavior between two totaly different species?

I don't get why she is putting up with him? :huh: Today my son brought in a female chinese from the yard and we let her near him on the ceiling, he jumped on her after my son left and they both fell on my head! :rolleyes: I need a rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Here are the pics I said I would post today, the first one is the Large CAge, it is 19" tall, and I drill a hole in the back of it for a vent and one at the bottom for my clean out hole. I just take to the slop sink and rinse some water around the bottom and it gets cleaned out. This doesn't work when I use it on the side, then all the babies have to comeout for their sat nite bath :lol:

MVC-681F.jpg

and here is the vent

MVC-682F.jpg

This is what I call my ugly vase! I made it for the orchid female on it! She has front crippled arms and I let her stay here and she gets to eat the escaped flies I catch for her each day!

MVC-683F-1.jpg