Community Inspiration.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on Project: Community Inspiration.

Last night after arriving home from work I decided to go ahead and start laying ground. I didn't have the excess moss to use as the divider between the rock (drainage) and substrate, so I used coffee filter rather than other methods I'd found online. Being as the coffee filter is thin enough to let water through yet stop falling of the soil I thought it may very well work out. Ive also used gauze pads in the passed builds with no issues.

After laying the divider I set down some dirt and am now making the ground floor of the build. Will post a photo of what's done, but I need to get more dirt to add in.

Also, another update: The ghost ooth donated by Dmina is currently in incubation. We both are hopeful it hatches out. If it does, ghost mantis is a species going in this build.

On a side note: I received two chaetas from my great friend Mantidbro which I introduced together in a 10 gallon aquarium I dubbed "The Holding Cell." So far ive seen absolutely zero aggressiveness. Granted they do become a bigger mantis, id like to find a docile species like these to also add into the build! :)

Update on Project: Community Inspiration.

Last night after arriving home from work I decided to go ahead and start laying ground. I didn't have the excess moss to use as the divider between the rock (drainage) and substrate, so I used coffee filter rather than other methods I'd found online. Being as the coffee filter is thin enough to let water through yet stop falling of the soil I thought it may very well work out. Ive also used gauze pads in the passed builds with no issues.

After laying the divider I set down some dirt and am now making the ground floor of the build. Will post a photo of what's done, but I need to get more dirt to add in.

Also, another update: The ghost ooth donated by Dmina is currently in incubation. We both are hopeful it hatches out. If it does, ghost mantis is a species going in this build.

On a side note: I received two chaetas from my great friend Mantidbro which I introduced together in a 10 gallon aquarium I dubbed "The Holding Cell." So far ive seen absolutely zero aggressiveness. Granted they do become a bigger mantis, id like to find a docile species like these to also add into the build! :)
Sounds like its coming along great!!

Sounds like it is coming along.... so excited to see how it is looking! Sounds awesome...

Josh's Frogs is a great place to look for things to seperate land from water. Try that before you set your tank up. Look at Substrates for Reptile and Amphibians. That might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, nice! I'll keep that on mind on the next one ;)

Though ive gotta say the coffee filter method does seem to work out as well, and since I'm a massive coffee addict I had plenty of filters to spare.

Haven't gotten any progress reports on the build, work and family have kept me strung up for a few days so I haven't been able to get anything done... Saturday will be a different story though.

Oh, nice! I'll keep that on mind on the next one ;)

Though ive gotta say the coffee filter method does seem to work out as well, and since I'm a massive coffee addict I had plenty of filters to spare.

Haven't gotten any progress reports on the build, work and family have kept me strung up for a few days so I haven't been able to get anything done... Saturday will be a different story though.
Yay to saturday!

Absolutely, I've still got a nice amount that was sent over by Dmina quite some time ago. It was a good large chunk when I got it, ive been utilizing it throughout most the builds ive made and plan to add that into the build as well.

Absolutely, I've still got a nice amount that was sent over by Dmina quite some time ago. It was a good large chunk when I got it, ive been utilizing it throughout most the builds ive made and plan to add that into the build as well.
Awesome! I love the moss on top, its really a great addition! Oh wow it must be a huge chunk indeed!

IMG_20150605_200315.jpgIMG_20150605_200346.jpgIMG_20150605_200331.jpg

I misplaced the first rock so I looked for a replacement. I dont know what kind of stone but it is unusual. It is a nice red with creamy off white. It will show up nicely in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts